One of the most dangerous things to do, Agency Advantage Insurance, serving West Bloomfield, MI would like to note, is driving on flooded streets, especially at night when visibility is low.
The best way to avoid flooding out while behind the wheel is not to venture forth when the streets are flooded. Missing an appointment or being late for work is far preferable to abandoning your vehicle hip-deep in water, with the attending expense and inconvenience. That inconvenience includes not making an appointment, anyway.
If you must drive while the streets are flooded, watch the weather report on TV, and consult weather and traffic sites on the internet. In this way, you might be able to devise a route that will allow you to avoid flooded areas, even if it will take longer to reach your destination.
The cardinal rule about coming up on a flooded street is the saying “Turn around; don’t drown.” Sometimes it is difficult to determine whether a wet patch has just a little bit of water or a foot or two. Of course, an easy way to determine the depth of the water in front of you is to watch what happens to other vehicles when their drivers try to cross. If the water splashes over the top of the wheels, the safe assumption is that the flooded patch is too dangerous to cross. A stalled car or two in the middle of the flooded area would also be a good indication that you should turn back. Better that you be late than to have your vehicle flooded out.
For any questions concerning auto insurance, feel free to contact Agency Advantage Insurance, serving West Bloomfield, MI.
You can get coverage to cover damages or injuries caused by an underinsured or uninsured motorist. This optional coverage helps in case you’re hit by someone with little or no insurance. Ask your Agency Advantage Insurance representative in West Bloomfield, MI whether you should carry this on your policy. In the meantime, here’s some information to get you started.
Why Do You Need Underinsured/Uninsured Coverage?
Every state requires drivers to have car insurance. However, a lot of people don’t have insurance and get behind the wheel anyway. If you get into an accident caused by someone in this category, you are left paying for damages to your car. Even if the driver has some coverage, their limit may not pay for all the damages. The only way to avoid this situation, which cannot be predicted is to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your vehicle. This allows you to protect your family and yourself from illegal drivers with no insurance.
What’s Covered by Uninsured Motorist Insurance?
Uninsured Motorists Coverage typically covers yourself and your passengers and includes two options. The first option is Uninsured Motorist coverage combined with bodily injury coverage. The second choice is Uninsured Motorist coverage for physical damage only. Bodily injury insurance pays for injuries to the driver and passenger, and physical damage pays for any property damages to your car that were sustained in the accident.
Contact your Agency Advantage agent today to find out how you can put underinsured/uninsured insurance to work keeping your vehicle and passengers protected. Make an appointment today so that you can get a quote or discuss this and all your auto insurance needs in West Bloomfield, MI.
Attention West Bloomfield, MI parents: keeping your teen safe behind the wheel is tough!
Even if you’ve already talked with your insurance agent at Agency Advantage Insurance to ensure that your teen is fully covered, it’s important to talk with your child about how to stay safe behind the wheel. Use these tips to help keep your pride and joy safe!
- Talk to your teen about texting and driving. Let them know that you understand that sometimes they feel the need to respond urgently, and that’s ok! They just need to pull over in a safe place before pulling out the cell phone. Letting your teen know that it’s important to choose a well-lit, public location is crucial for their safety.
- Offer incentives for your teen for avoiding speeding tickets. Set up a goal and reward with your child- for example, if they go a year without a ticket, you’ll pay for their car insurance for a month.
- Go with your teen to vehicle maintenance appointments. Many teens brush aside crucial maintenance issues. Your presence will ensure that their car is safe to drive.
- Only allow your teen to drive with one or two friends in the car. While a packed vehicle can make for a fun road trip, it also increases the number of distractions your teen will be facing while trying to make it safely to their destination.
Agency Advantage Insurance has many insurance options that will protect your teen as they drive the streets of West Bloomfield, MI. Call today to speak with an agent about the best insurance plan for your family.
Being Prepared with Agency Advantage Insurance
Most of us will sustain an auto accident within the course of our driving history. An unexpected car accident can leave you feeling overwhelmed and disoriented. Preparation, even if nothing ever happens, will make your life less stressful. What should we carry and what should we do when it happens?
Prepare a kit for a possible accident.
- First-aid kit
- Disposable Camera
- Pen and paper
- Backup copies of all appropriate paperwork
When you have an accident:
- Move your car to a safe area (if you are able), then flip on your hazards to warn others.
- Stop your vehicle and get out
- Check on others involved make sure everyone is ok
- Call the police (and possibly an ambulance) to the scene
Even in minor accidents, a police accident report can prove to be valuable with helping your insurance company deal with the claims. This will help the West Bloomfield, MI police or those responding from surrounding areas.
Paperwork and gathering information
- Keep important documents in the glove compartment (ID, insurance company contact information, vehicle registration, and health plan info)
- Have your phone on you and charged
Write down as much information as possible:
- Driver and passenger names (use IDs to verify)
- Contact information for any eyewitnesses
- Makes and models of all vehicles involved
- License plate numbers
- Location of the accident
- Insurance info
- Name and badge number of onsite police officers
Document the scene
- If you have a disposable camera or smartphone take some photos of the accident scene.
File your insurance claim
- File using your insurance app or call the number on your insurance ID card for your insurer’s contact information.
Though no one every wants an accident it’s good to know you have insurance. For more information contact Agency Advantage Insurance serving the West Bloomfield, MI area.